About

History

The Bermuda Golf Association was formed on 20th September 1950 as an association of local golf clubs. The greatest accomplishment during the first year was the adoption of the USGA handicap System for men. In 1970, the association was reconstituted as an organization of affiliated individuals.

As the governing body of golf in Bermuda, the BGA is responsible for organizing major national competitions such as the Bermuda Amateur Championships for men and ladies; the Bermuda Seniors Championships; the Bermuda Amateur Stroke Play Championships; the Bermuda Mixed Foursome Championships; and the Bermuda Fourball Championships. The Bermuda Open, in which professionals may play, is also the responsibility of the BGA. All of these tournaments attract qualified players from overseas which helps measure the caliber of Bermuda’s best.

International teams are selected to represent Bermuda in such events as the World Amateur Golf Council Team Championships Eisenhour Trophy and the Espirito Santo Trophy. These are held every two years. In the intermittent years, the BGA has sent teams to the Island Games where they have gleaned more medals in golf than any other island. These teams are composed mostly of players coming through the Junior Golf Programme.

In an effort to encourage junior enthusiasm for the game, the BGA accepted a constitution on September 30th, 1983 which paved the way for the Bermuda Junior Golf asiation, which, due to its immense success, now operated independently under the guidance of the BGA.

On the 13th March, 2001, the Bermuda Golf Association incorporated under the 1981 Companies Act.

The BGA organizes the ratings of all Bermuda golf courses and is responsible for the handicapping system that is used at all courses. It provides rules officiating and consultation and all major golf events.